Saturday, November 3, 2012

a life full of love and other things


I think about the first car trip we took (you and me)
in the wide open spaces of Indiana land.
The happy fall sun would drip all over our bodies
as we sing and walk and talk and marvel that we found each other.

Then, it was just you and me
in a different time and a different world.

I still think about those car trips
where we would drive for hours.
I would lean over and kiss your mouth on the side
and you were charming (as always, my dear)
and I was at home, with you.

You loved me back to life
and today, a thousand years later
I am still only at home when I am with you.

It was an other time in the world then.
Things were simpler,
purer and funnier.
And as we got older and more of the world
we saw,
we realized things needed to get funnier.
We had to learn to laugh everyday.
if we didn't laugh, we cried.
Cause things seemed to get sort of serious for a few years,
people died, divorced, got hurt, and things got really broken...

And even today, so many years later, we are still sitting in the car
you and me
small lovers in the big world
and I still lean over to kiss your wrinkly face and perfect mouth (on the side)
and we talk and laugh about the state of the world
the money we spent
the money we saved
and where we should eat dinner tonight.

I will always say you loved me back to life. 


© 2011 Lauren Stamper

No comments:

Post a Comment